Articles Posted in Propane Explosion Lawyer

Published on:

Explosion-225x300
NPGA Gas Check Program

The propane explosion which killed Edgar Brummett  of White County, Georgia was entirely preventable. According to published reports, the Georgia Propane Explosion was caused by a propane leak at a home in the Mt. Yonah Scenic Estates. A day prior to the explosion, the homeowner called the local propane gas supplier to report a leak, and also to report unusual propane usage over a short period of time…..strong evidence of a leak in the propane gas system. The propane company ignored, or, according to published reports, “disputed” the homeowners call about a leaking propane gas system and possible propane gas leak.

For decades, the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA) has known about the dangers of gas leaks and the need to properly and thoroughly inspect a propane gas system when a customer reports a leak, gas service is initiated, or there is a change in tenancy at the property. As noted in the document below, in 1985, the NPGA developed and implemented its “GAS Check” program. The GAS Check program was an industry wide effort to reduce (or, eliminate) residential propane accidents. This was done with consumer and dealer education, and detailed propane dealer training. The Gas Check Program works to prevent propane explosions by provider rules and guidelines for:

Published on:

Propane-Explosion-300x225
A propane explosion in White County, Georgia killed Edgar Brummett. Mr. Brummett was at his grandson’s house in Sautee Nacoochee, Georgia, potentially investigating a suspected propane leak. Apparently, the 120 gallon ASME propane tank had been filled in December, and was already “out of gas” despite low use.

Suspecting an obvious gas leak, the homeowner apparently called the propane company, reported a gas leak, and the propane disputed the homeowners call. An “out of gas” call from a homeowner reporting a leak is a big, big deal in the propane world, and the local propane distributor (Tugalo gas) absolutely had a duty to red-tag the propane system and conduct a full system leak check AND pressure check pursuant to NFPA 58, the LP gas code.

The propane industry has known, for years, of the dangers and hazards of an “out of gas” system and a homeowner report of a leak. Often after accidents such as the one in Sautee Nacoochee, the propane company will be on the scene of the accident within hours, gathering propane samples to determine if the gas was adequately odorized and determining whether the system was up to code.